"For he who is least among you all--he is the greatest." (Luke 9:48)
I saw a young man with his entire life before him. Below where his still body stood, a swirling, foamy mass flew underneath him in a hurry. The shadows of evening approached as the dying sun nestled lower in the horizon. Even the birds, which normally filled the air with their cries, were silent in anticipation of their needed sleep.
The sound of a tired voice could be heard. Bent over the safety railing, the man was sobbing, letting each salty tear drop into the waters below.
“I’m so sorry God,” he cried. “What have I done? When is this cycle of agony going to end? I want to be freed from this burden of sin that weighs down on me more each day.”
He stopped, hoping that no one had listened in on his conversation with God. When only silence was heard from the surrounding hills, he continued his prayer.
“I can no longer rescue my sinful self from the death that I have written out word by word. I am a sinner. No longer do I want to be a slave to the sin that deceives me at every turn. Jesus, you are the only way. I turn to you for my salvation and submit to you for your strength.”
“Lord, accept this humble offering.”