To Be Least

"For he who is least among you all--he is the greatest." (Luke 9:48)

Saturday, December 18, 2004

 

To Be a Disciple

Our holiday visit with our grandparents was over, and we were headed back towards home. Preoccupied with the thick Bible that sat on my lap I hardly noticed the twirling of snow on the other side of the car window. Flipping through its thin pages, I found exactly what I was looking for.

Silently I read from Luke 14:33, “In the same way, any of you who does not give up everything he has cannot be my disciple.”

“That verse certainly stands in the way of the modern watered-down Christianity that is being preached from the pulpits,” I thought to myself. “Christ clearly tells us that if we want to be his disciple, we must give up everything. He gave no exceptions or excuses. Does that mean that, as followers and disciples of Christ, we are to give up everything in our lives for His sake?”

I know the answer is a simple, “Yes.”

Glancing up a few verses to Luke 14:27 and read, “And anyone who does not carry his cross and follow me cannot be my disciple.”

Again, I think. “Does this mean that I must pick up that symbol of suffering and follow in Christ’s footsteps to my own crucifixion in order to be his disciple?”

“Yes,” I can almost here the Lord saying to me, “You must.”

“Oh God, must the path to eternal life be so difficult? Do I have to give up everything to take that path marked by Jesus’ footsteps of persecution?”

The answer penetrates my heart.

“Yes.”

Comments:
Hey brother,
I haphazardly found blogger this week for the first time. I've been looking around tonight at some of the other blogs that are out there. I was beginning to sense something they all had in common that bothered me, until I randomly found yours. Everyone elses has a focus on themselves. I was looking at them wondering what is their purpose for having these blogs...they are generally all about themselves for others to see. All self promoted. Yours though... its got a different focus. Your focus is on Jesus Christ. I find it rare to find someone who will discuss the true purpose of our lives...glorifying God. I am thrilled to have stumbled upon it. Not only was I skimming for another christian, but I found a connection to other christian blogs through yours. Thank you! I'm really looking forward to delving deeper into your thoughts and studies and discovering what some other christians are presenting.
My blog is really quite in its infancy stages. I started it with a title that to me reflects a couple of awesome characteristics of God. Hope you can drop by and that we will corespond some more in the future. Bye for now,
Juliana
http://searchandmeasure.blogspot.com/
PS I also left the same comment on "believerinthemosthigh"'s blog. I think I actually stumbled upon your first, but I I'm not sre since I've been bouncing around between both blogs!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

Archives

December 2003   January 2004   February 2004   March 2004   April 2004   May 2004   June 2004   July 2004   August 2004   September 2004   October 2004   November 2004   December 2004   January 2005   February 2005   March 2005   April 2005  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?