"For he who is least among you all--he is the greatest." (Luke 9:48)
A couple of days ago, during the rush of Christmas shopping, I decided to become a rebel. No, I did not do anything violent, disobedient or sinful. However, I did stop to take a huge portion of my day to read scripture and seek the Lord. In a culture where we are told that we must be in a hectic frenzy to prepare for the holidays, I am sure that I classified as a perfect rebel.
It was during this time that I wrote some thoughts and musings from my readings. The following is just exactly that. Slow down for a minute and read what I have to say.
When I started this time away from the throngs of people searching for that perfect item, I wanted to more fully understand something. This something is known as love. More specifically, I wanted to understand God's amazing love for the world. Alone in my bedroom, I began to flip open the pages of scripture in order to take the first step in knowing and understanding God's love. Perhaps it was the Holy Spirit or just chance, but I opened up to the book of Ephesians and read.
After several minutes, when I was in the third chapter, I read this following verse.
"And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge - that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God." (v. 17-19)
For a beginning of a quest to learn more about God's love, this verse seemed very providential. God's love, according to this section of scripture, cannot be bound by our knowledge. No matter how hard we try to understand God's love for us, we can never fully obtain a perfect understanding because His love is so deep that our minds can not fully grasp it.
The reason, we are told, for understanding God's love for us is "that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God." That statement seems extremely strong and awesome. The fullness of God must be exceedingly full and is most likely beyond our comprehension. Yet, although I realize the power of the statement, I do not know what it means.
Do you have any thoughts?