To Be Least

"For he who is least among you all--he is the greatest." (Luke 9:48)

Monday, September 13, 2004

 

Walk the Talk

      I have decided that unless I am living it, I am not going to write it. In other words, I have to walk the walk if I want to talk the talk. If I am going to tell others to live holy, I have to live a holy life. If I am going to tell others to die to their self, I must die to my self. I am going to teach others, I have to live up to that teaching myself.
      1 Corinthians 8:1 says that, "Knowledge puffs up, but love builds up." A Christian needs to have love more than knowledge. If a theologian studies the Bible for his entire lifetime (and thinks that he is great because of that), but does not love, it means nothing. A verse that really applies is another verse from 1 Corinthians 13 which says, "2If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing."
      Again, what is love? One thing that the Bible makes clear is that love is the foundation of the law. Romans 13:10 says, "Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law," and again in Galatians 5:14 says, "The entire law is summed up in a single command: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'" Love is the heart of the law. Jesus told us in John 14:15 that, "If you love me, you will obey what I command." This is essential to our understanding of what it means to love.
      I do not want to be one who just knows the Bible, but one who applies the Bible to my every day life. I want to teach out of experience, not out of factual knowledge. I want to spread the good news not because of what I know, but because of what God has done for me.
      Am I making any sense here? I hope so, and I will try to post more frequently.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

Archives

December 2003   January 2004   February 2004   March 2004   April 2004   May 2004   June 2004   July 2004   August 2004   September 2004   October 2004   November 2004   December 2004   January 2005   February 2005   March 2005   April 2005  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?